Infographics are created to inform and engage, creating infographics is not just a designer task, Anyone can make it, after getting some knowledge about making an infographic. In this article, I will review what is an infographic, how to do infographics and the necessary steps to create a successful infographic.
What is an infographic?
Infographics is a graphic representation that includes maps, tables, graphs and diagrams, which allows simple communication of complex concepts.
Benefits of infographics:
The benefits of infographics are the following:
- Presentation of results: helps to better understand the data that is presented thanks to the graphic support and the schematization.
- Resource for website or blog: a good way to illustrate information on the website or corporate blog. Reading becomes more fun and easy
- Increase visibility in social networks: infographics create greater engagement in social networks, increasing the visibility of the message in the online environment.
- Humanize the content: more affable and familiar content to be easily understandable.
- They help remember: we tend to remember better what we see than what we read.
How to make an infographic in 5 steps:
- Select the theme of infographics
The first step to do an infographic is to choose the theme of the infographic. Some general examples of topics for doing infographics are:
- Statistical data
- Summary of a document
- The explanation of a concept
- The explanation of a technolog
It is ideal that the idea is popular on the Internet and especially in social networks. Monitoring Twitter and Facebook accounts of your target audience, this will help you identify popular issues on social networks.
- Collect data for the infographic:
A process of data collection of the topic to be addressed must be carried out. It is very important to register the information sources since they are an important element in the infographic.
Some sources of information to take into account are Google, blogs, YouTube, Slide share, Twitter, Wikipedia, electronic newspapers, specialized sites, etc.
A very important aspect of this step is to validate that the information collected is true since there are unreliable sources of information. The educational sites are usually a good source for data collecting.
- Organize ideas:
It is important to organize the information gathered by grouping it by topic and sub-topics, for this a conceptual map program can be useful.
Should discard the aspects that are little relevant or uninteresting.
4. Design the infographic:
Some important things to remember before design should take into account:
- Original style: You should avoid copying graphic concepts from other infographics.
- Integration: An infographic must be rich graphically avoiding designing it with a lot of text.
- Color: Colors with good contrast should be used for easy reading. An excellent tool that facilitates the selection of colors is coloradobe.com
- Sources: An infographic must have a creative use of fonts and font sizes. The Dafont.com site contains a wide variety of sources that can be taken as a guide.
- Icons: An infographic must contain simple images (icons) to communicate properly.
- Use tools to create infographics:
There are many tools available for creating infographics, you can easily create infographics with these tools.
Some famous free tools for creating infographics are following
- Canva: It is a popular tool, In this tool creating infographics is quite easy and a person who is not a designer can easily create infographic here.
- PiktoChart: PiktoChart is a web tool that allows you to create an infographic with a simple drag and drop. It makes easy to customize colors and fonts.
- ly: In this tool, there is variety in drag and drop for all kinds of symbols, an infographic can be easily converted to any format to share online.
- Wordle: This tool makes easy to visualize the infographic with the text you want to add.
- Creately: In creately, its easy to create infographics with diagrams and flow diagrams.